EssilorLuxottica's mission is to help everyone see better. World leader in the design, manufacture and distribution of ophthalmic lenses, frames and sunglasses. Beyond the manufacture of products, the company and its employees are strongly committed to having the right vision recognized as a fundamental human right and making it a lever for development on a global scale.
80% of what we learn comes through our eyes. Yet one in three people worldwide still do not have access to the visual equipment they need, and billions more are at risk of vision deterioration.
As such, EssilorLuxottica is committed to contributing to the Sustainable Development Goals which constitute the United Nations 2030 agenda. Their mission is based on 3 fundamental pillars:
- The teams: more than 150,000 employees around the world contribute to the marketing of high technical quality products through the development of a culture that values training, diversity, equity between men and women, safety and security. prevention of work accidents, as well as employee shareholding.
- The Environment: Optimizing the use of natural resources.
- For many years, the company has invested in production plants powered by self-produced renewable energies through the installation of solar panels and biomass heat production systems. These installations have made it possible to considerably increase the share of clean energy. Particularly at Essilor's Satislor development and production site in Italy, solar panels provide more than 33% of its electricity consumption, thus enabling an annual reduction of 215 tonnes of CO2 emissions.
- Reducing water use is a priority. This requires better management throughout the production process of lenses and frames, in particular through the introduction of new ecological galvanizing techniques allowing the treatment, recycling and reuse of its water in closed circuits. In addition, EssilorLuxottica has invested in wastewater treatment systems that can reprocess industrial effluents and extract high quality water.
- The development of waste and its management helps to set up a circular economy. Minimizing raw material losses, recovering residues and reducing discarded consumables and wasted chemicals in all production and packaging processes are all essential elements of the EssilorLuxottica commitment.
- Society: thanks to proper consideration of local impacts, dialogue with stakeholders and the creation of shared value with their partners, suppliers, governments and local communities are essential to build a solid base and thus respect and promote rights. humans throughout its value chain.
There remains an essential and primordial point on which EssilorLuxottica must work. To date, its carbon footprint linked to the transport and downstream distribution of its products is one of the most important sources of emissions.
EssilorLuxottica is pursuing its efforts around five priorities: strengthening environmental management processes, reducing water use and guaranteeing supplies, improving the energy efficiency of manufacturing and transport processes, reducing its carbon footprint and adapt to climate change by limiting waste generation and optimizing recycling
Thanks to a collective effort by the entire group, Essilor reached in advance its goal for 2020 of a 20% reduction in water use per glass produced compared to 2015. By the end of 2019, Essilor had already exceeded its objective, with a reduction of 26%