Mrs Beinisch, first of all, let me thank you for accepting this interview with DV8 World News. I am personally delighted to have you with us today. We are going to talk together...

Read more

Ecology: Are you in fashion? No longer a company without its environmental charter, no more a product without its eco-responsible promises, no more a speech coated with ecolo...

Read more

Eating plant-based is 6 times more effective for the environment than eating organic and local according to Carbone 4 , and it takes 4 times more land to feed a person with a hi...

Read more

Not a fan of Unabomber. “When the hares declared equal rights between animals, they wanted to ostracize the lions; they didn't answer, but they bared their teeth &r...

Read more

Protecting the world's biodiversity – towards an international agreement at COP 15‎.

Cop 15 continued | Posted on 2022-02-11 18:57

The fifteenth meeting of the Conference of the Parties to the Convention on Biological Diversity (‎ ‎CBD COP 15 ‎ ‎) will be the largest biodiversity conference in a decade. Hosted by China, the first stage of CBD COP 15 which took place virtually from October 11 to 15, 2021, followed by the second stage from April 25 to May 8, 2022 in Kunming.‎

‎World leaders should agree on a new post-2020 global biodiversity framework. This framework must enable the world to realize the 2050 vision of living in harmony with nature, to achieve transformative change in our societies and to put nature on the path to recovery by 2030.‎

‎ ‎Objectives

‎The EU stands ready to lead efforts and work with like-minded partners to reach an ambitious global agreement to halt biodiversity loss, as set out in the ‎‎‎Biodiversity Strategy for horizon 2030. ‎ ‎Search for available translations of the previous link ‎ •••

‎The EU will negotiate at least the following elements of the framework:‎

  • ‎Global Global Biodiversity Goals for 2050 which will aim to restore, make resilient and adequately protect all the world's ecosystems‎
  • ‎Ambitious global targets for 2030 in line with EU commitments under the EU Biodiversity Strategy, such as protecting at least 30% of land and 30% of the world's seas and the sustainable use and management of the remaining 70%.‎
  • ‎A much stronger implementation, monitoring and review process‎
  • ‎An enabling framework to achieve ambition, in areas such as finance, capacity, research, innovation and technology‎
  • ‎Fair and equitable sharing of benefits arising from the utilization of genetic resources related to biodiversity‎
  • ‎A principle of equality, based on an inclusive approach with the participation of all stakeholders and indigenous peoples‎

EU action

‎The Commission is mobilizing all the tools of external action and international partnerships to help draw up this agreement.‎

‎Ahead of COP 15, the European Commission has formed the ‎ ‎United Global Biodiversity Coalition ‎ ‎Search for available translations of the previous link ‎ ••• ‎. The Coalition has already brought together more than 250 institutions from more than 50 countries around the world calling for greater mobilization in raising awareness for the protection of biodiversity.‎

‎Ursula von der Leyen, President of the European Commission, endorsed the Leaders' Pledge for Nature . Through this pledge, and together with over 80 Heads of State and Government, the EU has committed to halt and reverse biodiversity loss and ecosystem degradation by 2030.‎

The Commission has also joined the High Ambition (HAC) Intergovernmental Coalition for Nature and People , which actively supports an ambitious framework and includes the goal of conserving at least 30% of here 2030.‎

‎Timeline‎

‎Key EU actions ahead of COP 15‎:

- ‎April 25 - May 8, 2022‎: ‎CBD COP 15 part two‎

- ‎October 11 / 15, 2021‎: ‎CBD COP 15 first part‎

- ‎September 2021‎: ‎IUCN World Conservation Congress‎

- ‎January 2021‎: ‎The Commission joined the High Ambition Intergovernmental Coalition (HAC) for Nature and People‎

- ‎September 2020‎: ‎Commission President Ursula von der Leyen signed the Leader for Nature Pledge‎

- ‎May 2020‎: ‎The Commission published the 2030 Biodiversity Strategy ‎

- ‎March 2020‎: ‎The EU launched the global coalition “Unite for Biodiversity”‎

Source  

European Commission

 

Posted on 2022-02-11 18:57

Wizardwords 7.0 Greenwashing is more than Brainwashing but so is Blackmail Someone once said: ”I believe that children are our future, teach them well and let them lead...

Read more

Michelle Thew is the CEO of Cruelty Free International – the leading organization working to end animal testing worldwide. For more than 20 years, Michelle has been an adv...

Read more

What is sustainable finance and how it is changing the world Investors no longer face a choice between profit and saving the planet. Sustainable finance is prio...

Read more

DV8 Chat

Find your friends on DV8 Chat.

Suggestion

Newsletter

Receive news directly to your email!